Monday, February 15, 2010

Scott's 2009 AL team names


Scott East
Otsego Myth - With Team East, I go back to baseball history, a la King Kelly and the Zany Rubes. Baseball lore says that the game was invented on the shores of Lake Otsego in Cooperstown by a man named Abner Doubleday. However, that is no more true than it is to say that the game was invented in the back yard of 105 Plum Street in Tipton, Iowa by a young man named Scott Norris.
In truth, the game evolved over the course of many years, kind of like the way our league has evolved - from the house across the sheep pasture in Downey all the way to Cooperstown and on to Pittsburgh with many interesting stops in between.
  • Suggested three-letter abbreviation - OMY, just like the signature call of former Iowa basketball television broadcaster Bob Hogue who used to yell "Oh, my!" after Vince Brookins hit a shot from the deep corner or Ronnie Lester made a nifty drive to the hoop or Steve Krafcisin made a gentle dunk. But I digress ......
Scott West
Freeze Frame - You know I can't go without a reference to 80's music. So, combine a great hit from that era with my interest in capturing peak-action moments and there you have it. I will also make this the theme song as my closer enters the ninth to "freeze the frame." Come to think of it, I can't believe no MLB team has adopted this catchy little tune to do just that. Or have I missed it?
  • Suggested three-letter abbreviation - FZF. Any team with a "Z" in the initials has to be good. Take Zany Rubes for example. Oh, wait....

Come on cards, get here! Please!

1 comment:

Commish said...

Beautifully done, Scott.

I love your zest (hey, there's another "Z") for the game. And loved the Tipton Elementary School mug.

Time for a comeback of the JKSA Blog? I like it.